Tuesday, November 4, 2008

It's true what they say...

It is much harder to write a story in which you have a deep emotional investment. I have spent a year working on Evelyn's story, but going into NaNo, I'm left with no character names, no town names, and many many plotholes. The truth is that my story is still a series of ideas without much holding them together, and I don't want to rush through this. I know that the story is good, and I want to do it justice and give it the time and love it needs. Besides, I'm already stumped at 900 words.

I'm starting over with a new story--an account of the last few months of my life, and how my life has become so intwined with that of a complete stranger. Because really that's all I can think about right now.

2 comments:

Jamila said...

Aww...I am sad to hear you're not going to write about Evelyn.

If you still want to write about her, think about it this way. Just write and get her story out, even if it doesn't make any sense. At least with the idea out there, you can continue to fix it and really turn it into something good.

And don't worry about names, just flip a coin and pick...they can always be changed. NaNo isn't about perfection [something I have to remind myself] but about getting an idea out there and exploring where that crazy thing takes you.

Jamila said...

Oh yeah...and I got nothing to do at work today, so feel free to call me if you want to talk.